Saturday 28 April 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Goodreads synopsis: 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbours. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


Okay, so ever since I read The Hunger Games I can’t get enough of dystopian books. And, this book was no exception!

I really liked the characters and I think Lu did a great job of setting the scene of the intriguing concept of a very militaristic Republic Of America. As for the characters themselves, I really enjoyed getting to know them as the story progressed, and I loved how June could hold her own. She reminded me of Katniss in the way that she was quite capable of fighting for herself.

This book is quite fast paced meaning that almost from the first page I was hooked. The large amount of action and drama meant I found myself unable to put it down. Also, I liked the fact that this book wasn’t overly predictable and at times it really did catch me off-guard.


Legend is dual narration (June’s perspective and Day’s in alternating chapters) which normally I’m not so keen on. However, this time I found myself loving both of their narrations equally. It was really interesting to see two people who came from completely different sides of society intermingle, but to hear their separate voices and opinions at the same time.


So, without giving anything away, I recommend that all dystopian lovers read this book. You won’t be disappointed.
P.S. I can't wait for the sequel :D 

1 comment:

  1. Legend by Marie Lu is one of the book that anyone could read, book content is very interesting you can play your mind and find out what next in reading this books ReadersMagnet Review: Children’s Books on Seasons hopefully author will make another twist of this book.

    ReplyDelete